Saturday, February 6, 2010

Western Oregon Tribes Pow Wow




As usual, when attending a pow wow, I take a camera. I was rudely accosted about taking the photos. A young lady told me I needed permission. In my younger days I would have argued, but not this time. Maybe it's just me, but Pow wow etiquette often seems vague. Grand Entry featured hundreds of flashes, in addition to people on the edge of the procession with tripods and video recorders. But at different points of the pow wow the MC asked people to turn off their cameras. I've always believed, and maybe in error, that when appearing at public events a person has no expectation of privacy. It would be impossible to film an event, like the Superbowl for example, if you needed the individual permission of everybody upon whom the camera fell. And I've seen DVD's of pow wows for sale at... pow wows.
This year's event was well-attended, but from what I've been told not nearly as well as last year. The first annual of anything is probably like that a lot.

No comments: