Tuesday, February 9, 2010

More News & Notes

Several months ago, we were in the dark as to what was going on with the Klamath Tribe. I had heard from multiple sources that the entire Council had been ousted and replaced. Given what happened with the Snoqualmie Tribe in Washington, among others, such a scenario would surprise but not shock me. I went so far as to try Googling the Klamath in hopes that perhaps some local paper had covered the story, kind of like what happened with Siletz last year. I found very little, and then these stories were forwarded to me last week:

The first one:
Modocs start separation movement from Klamath Tribes

The second:
Opposing group says it should control Tribes

On another note, I really liked these opinion pieces from Indian Country Today:

Justice Crucial to Tribal Sustainability

Trahant: Transparency as a tool for reform

Not that I have nothing to write about. But I do believe there are plenty of example throughout Indian Country from which we could take ideas.

No comments: