Saturday, July 14, 2007

What Have I Gotten Myself In To?

THIS POST IS FULL OF SELF-PITY AND COMPLAINING. I JUST HAVE TO GET IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM. THANKS FOR YOUR INDULGENCE.

Being on the Tribal Council is no picnic. I wonder sometimes if other candidates have any idea what they are in for. I though I did. I tell people that it is pretty much what I expected, only more intense.

The one thing I didn’t count on was members of my own family turning their backs on me. I’m not talking about distant relatives, I’m talking about an aunt and several close cousins, people that I have been close to all of my life. The sad thing is that it’s not my ideas they oppose. To quote one of my cousins, “You didn’t support me when I ran, what comes around goes around.” That argument might carry water if I opposed him; but I didn’t. He declined to be associated with my “group” and chose to run independently. His brother ran independently against him. Needless to say, neither one of them was elected.

That excuse doesn’t even work for one of my other relatives, in fact, I supported her campaign when she ran, helped her develop her platform and write her letters. She didn’t get elected either. Maybe that is why she doesn’t support me.

I don’t expect blind followers. The only thing that I expect is to be judged on my principles and my actions, not on whether or not I can pull strings for someone. My positions don’t sway depending on who supports me and who doesn’t.

Maybe what goes around does come around. Maybe that’s why they’ve never been elected.

If I sound like I have hurt feelings, I do. If I sound cynical, I am.
Politics will do that to a person, but I am learning not to let it get me down.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Ang-regardless...i'm glad you decided to run again. I know that you have mentioned that it is hard, and i can totally relate (remember that i sit in on a lot of those meetings with you guys). Just remember that you have support when you need it.-Ken