Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Sense of Humor




As you can see above, Steve Bobb and Val Sheker (Sonny and Cher) were in Halloween mode today, the only Council members to do so. Both have in fact done this multiple times, for which I give them credit. They even wore these costumes during tonight's Council meeting, for which I give them additional credit.
We couldn't help but discuss the last time a member of Tribal Council decided to bring such a sense of levity to a public meeting. I am quite familiar with it because the Council member was me. While Chair I donned an Elvis wig at the November 2006 General Council meeting, and did my best vocal impersonation to kick off the session. People laughed.
At the December 2006 General Council meeting, I was accused of disrespecting the position and not taking it seriously. There was even a picture in the "Smoke Signals", one I have on my wall. It was only one person who raised the issue, but they laid into me, generating applause on other points. In hindsight, it is one of my least favorite memories as a Council member.
Val and I have a bet as to whether somebody will complain. I don't personally see it happening. the political climate has changed since then. It never hurts to have a sense of humor in this job, I might add.

No comments: