Thursday, June 26, 2008

Head Start again

I realize that this has no real relevance to the issues of the annual National Indian Head Start Directors Association, in fact I probably mentioned this last year, but if you are a red-blooded American male, nowhere outside of a bachelorette party will you see a greater ratio of women to men. I suppose that would have its plusses and minuses, meaning it levels out. But I still can't help but let people know, because when you are one of the rare guys, it's kind of hard not to notice, or have pointed out to you.
If there is a greater ratio, then it is the ratio of non-Tribal leaders to Tribal leaders. Being one of only ten or so elected leaders amongst a conference of a couple hundred at least, one can't help but feel like a celebrity of sorts. Our name tags are decorated with a bold red ribbon stating "Tribal Leader" in gold lettering, equaling if not being more eye catching than the actual NIHSDA Board members themselves, who sport black ribbons with gold. During the opening proceedings, we are given special recognition, igniting the trend.
Unfortunately, I can only speculate on why we are treated so specially. My personal guess is that Indian Head Start programs have been lost in the shuffle of tribes, especially since the inception of Indian gaming, which has brought a whole slew of other issues that tend to interest the general public more. But Indian Head Start has been around a lot longer, before I was born even. Some might contend it touches lives much more than the benefits of Indian gaming, though such a contention would take decades to prove or disprove.
What I do know for certain is that those involved in Head Start take the job very seriously, almost singlemindedly. This could very well be the only conference I've attended regarding Tribes where the topic of Indian gaming was not even brought up in any of the workshops or speeches, ever. People here are very concerned with the welfare of future generations of Indian children. To them, it really is the future of Indian Country, and they might have a point.
In that regard I am often lost in some of the discussions, not having children nor any real background in early childhood education. I realize that needs to be remedied. At times it seems kind of odd that I am the Council member who has chosen to be involved with our Head Start when I am the only one without any children. According to one director from a Tribe in California, that is not entirely unusual; their Council liaison is also single and childless.
According to our last Federal review, Grand Ronde has a very well-run Head Start program, and that reputation seems to have preceeded us. As luck would have it our name gets peppered throughout the conference. We pay and host a feast at the Chinook Longhouse in Ridgefield, close to the conference at the Jantzen Beach Red Lion in northern Portland. Once again I am called upon to be acknowledged as the Grand Ronde messenger, though I say nothing. Really, our drummers and dancers steal the show, as well as the Ridgefield Wildlife Refugee, which I've known only in the winter, and is quite beautiful in summer.
Our veterans act as color guard during the opening ceremony, and our chinuk pre-school immersion students the closing song earlier today. I can't help but feel a little flush of pride for our tribe. Multiple people thank me for the dinner, and one director asks me if she could come over to see our immersion program. We've made an impression.
Twice I get called over to meetings reserved for Tribal leaders. They would like us to speak out at the upcoming consultations on the Head Start Reauthorization Act. They like having the directors and teachers speak and submit testimony, but once again, it seems to carry a lot more weight when coming from a Tribal leader. I suppose that opportunity will come.

No comments: