Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lady Washington






I haven't given up on my blog. However, the last three weeks have seen me more on the road than at home. This week I was neither. I was out at sea. A friend from a Washington tribe, the Chinooks, invited me to sail on the Lady Washington for three days from Newport to Astoria, Ilwaco actually, just across the Columbia. Our purpose was to get a feel for the "old days", and I mean really old--Wednesday in Ilwaco harbor we recreated the meeting between Robert Gray and the Chinooks from 1795, if I am not mistaken. Unfortunately, as I was down below in a canoe, I couldn't secure any photos of that event, which took place on deck (I was one of the subordinate Indians).
For anybody how follows the nautical world, the Lady Washington was used in Pirates of the Caribbean. It was the HMS Interceptor. There were many modern amenities missing, which might be part of the charm. On the other hand, going three days without a shower is rarely comfortable.

1 comment:

Dakota said...

I think it's sad that Our People were invited only to be treated as if we didn't really exist. Why would all the "festivities" completely exclude us? After all, we were here first, right?