Friday, June 22, 2007

What have I learned over the past 3 years?

Well, technically it's only been two years and 10 months, but who's counting? My first term on council has been an eye-opener to say the least. It has mostly been what I expected, only more intense. When I am frustrated, I am REALLY frustrated. When I am disappointed, I am REALLY disappointed, and when I'm happy, I am REALLY happy. Unfortunately, I've experienced much more of the former and a lot less of the latter. In fact, I've thought long and hard about whether or not I should run for re-election. I've gone back and forth. I've weighed the pros and the cons. I've consulted the people in my life that I trust and respect. But when it comes right down to it, only I know what is right for me and my family.

What I've come to understand is this: I can't leave now, I feel like I am finally figuring out how to do this. My first year in office was an eye-opening experience. I spent a lot of time observing the way things work. Since I was in the minority , I could do little except for sit back and learn. My mom was on council for 10 years so I had an idea what I was in for, but simple office procedures were elusive at best. I can remember asking "How does a person go about getting something on the agenda?" and "How can I get a travel advance or reimbursement?" There is no step-by-step manual to tell you how to do these things, you just have to learn as you go. At that time, no one was offering up any information that would make my job any easier.

Back then, most decisions were made on an ad-hoc basis and were usually reactionary. This made it very difficult to address issues that weren't the crisis-of-the-day, that is, until the issue rose to that level. Not only that, but it was hard to bring things to the table that weren't urgent. There was little attention paid to long-term planning or the long-term impact of decisions.

That's not all I learned. Probably the greatest lesson I learned is what not to do. If I had it to do all over again I would certainly do some things differently. Patience has never been my strong suit, but if I could go back, I would try to move a little slower. People are resistant to change and I am trying to respect that. If I could go back, I would probably have ran a much different campaign. I think my first term would have been easier if I could have kept a low profile, but after our landslide victory that was out of the question.

I can't go back, but I can apply the lessons I've learned to help me be a better leader the second time around. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to do just that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Angie;
I would like to know what you would do different if you are elected this year? I hope you understand there are so many of us who voted for the ones we did because of their campaign letters saying how they felt and what they wanted to do for the tribe, So if you say you'd do things differently it makes it look like or sound like you'd turn into someone who would be doing things because it was expected of them instead of how they honestly feel. I don't know about the rest but I want a council that stands up for how they feel even if they're the only one who feels that way, someone who doesn't back down because they are critisized by their actions or what they stand for. I hope you understand what I am trying to ask. Are you going to still be fighting for all members as a tribe, no matter where they live? Are you going to stand on your own two feet for what you feel is right even if the rest of council and other tribal members dissagree with you?
Vonnie

Anonymous said...

Vonnie
I am so glad that you asked for clarification. When I said that I would do things differently, I didn't mean I would change my feelings on certain matters or change the way I would vote.

I meant that I would have tried harder to campaign in 2004 without alienating the sitting council members. Several council members are still quite bitter because of that election and I wish that I could do it differently. It might not have mattered, I was not a welcome addition to council for those that liked the "good ole-boy" club.

Some things from that election that bother me still are things that I was blamed for that I had nothing to do with. It is still a sore subject, but as an example, in 2004 a candidate's criminal record was circulated.

I learned after the fact that Val Sheker-Robertson and her husband copied that information and distributed it in revenge for some council members distributing her arrest record for her DUII and Child Endangerment that summer.

Unfortunately, her husband at the time, is my uncle, JR Robertson. I didn't want to cause a problem between him and my dad, so I never said anything. I'm not a "tattle-tell". The sad thing is when I was blamed of doing this, neither Val nor my Uncle stepped up, they both sat by and let me take the blame.

Another thing that I would have done differently is maintained my patience better. Some people don't appreciate my direct nature. I don't believe in sugar-coating BS when I see it. I need to learn to state my objections calmly, sometimes I am very passionate about matters and it gets me fired up.

I fully believe that I have and will continue to fight for all tribal members, regardless of where they live. I worked this year to get some benefits extended outside of our service area, like housing repair grants and the elder's security alert systems.

I do stand by what I believe is right, even when no one else agrees with me. Sometimes it is very hard because I feel alone at times. In fact, I think that some people don't like me based on the fact that I stand up for what I believe in. A lot of local members are just not used to seeing council members speak up in meetings and it makes them very uncomfortable. In fact, at a recent meeting I disagreed with another coucnil member and a tribal member stood up and said how sad it was that council was "arguing" (her words, not mine). I believe in debate. I don't think that it is bad to disagree, we can't all think alike, nor should we. When we debate issues it gives us a chance to see things from different angles, not just our own narrow view point. Sometimes we learn something we didn't already know.

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks again.