Saturday, April 7, 2007

Why a blog?

That is probably the question that just about everybody who goes on to this website will be asking. Good question, too. The simple answer of course is "Why not?" With a Tribe of 5000 spread out across nearly all 50 states, probably close to a dozen countries, the internet of course is the ideal way to communicate. I say this fully aware that not everybody has internet access, much less a computer. But the reality is that the percentage of people who are in the process of securing both is growing quickly and vastly. Within 20 years, probably even 5 or 10, the number of individuals online and active will greatly outnumber those not, and you need be neither prophet nor media expert to predict that.
Truth be told though, I have wanted to create my own website for a couple of years now. In fact upon being elected I had grand visions of starting one. But that of course was before learning the sheer amount of time that occupies one's life in becoming a Council member. Last summer I tried pushing for blogs for Council members as the Tribe's website was nearing a launch date, but obviously had there been support it would have happened. So after regularly perusing the blogging world the last few months, I realized that the process was really very easy. More importantly, I realized that if this meant so much to me I would have to just proceed on my own. So here you are.
Of course I am also aware that there are already two existing interactive websites pertaining the community of Grand Ronde: Grand Ronde On-Line and Grand Ronde Rez News. I have in the past contributed heavily to Grand Ronde On-Line, not so heavily to Rez News. One site has been very helpful and informative. The other seems at times to have been created to mudsling, misinform, and confuse issues. I am not going to say which is which, but people who go on those sites regularly could tell you easily.
There are three if you count the Tribe's actual newly revamped website. I have a hard time counting it like GROL and RezNews because there is not much in the way of interactive communication, like a message board or blogs, and the site could be updated more quickly. In the future there will likely be those kinds of features on that website, I am certain, but for now the website is indeed still a work in progress. I am not faulting staff for that, because they do work hard, but there really is a lot to consider logistically when building a website as potentially large as CTGR's. The whole thing was a learning experience for every person involved.
So I guess back to the original question: Why a blog? Because Tribal members need more interaction with their Council, and eachother for that matter. And because communication, ever the contentious issue, is a lot easier than people think.

Chris Mercier

No comments: